The patriotic spirit of America is alive and well in the City of Southport. For over 200 years this small maritime community has celebrated our nation's independence in a big way. The celebration has grown from colonial times when ships lay anchor in her harbor shot their cannons to today's festival where 40,000 to 50,000 people come each year to bathe in the richness of spirit commemorating Old Glory. Incorporated as the N.C. 4th of July Festival in 1972 the festival committee strives to keep the focus of the festival on honoring our nation's birthday with a little fun thrown in.
- Over 100 handmade arts and crafts on display
- The delightful aroma of fair food permeates the air
- The Cape Fear river serves as a backdrop for Main Stage Entertainment - best beach, top 40's and country bands each evening.
- The most patriotic parade representing
main street USA and televised on WECT TV6 "Where News Comes First"
Parade Commercial (4203 KB)
- A Naturalization Ceremony that will move you to tears
- Veterans Recognition - ceremony honoring the sacrifices of our armed service personnel who have served and paid for our freedom
- Flag Retirement Ceremony - a ceremony that allows residents and visitors an opportunity to properly dispose of their USA flags
- Beach Day - highlighting the activities popular at Southport's neighboring beach community Oak Island - volleyball and shag contests to mention a few
- Freedom Run & Walk - runners and walkers enjoy an organized event encouraging a healthy America
- Children's Entertainment & Games - Remember the good old games including sack races and watermelon eating contests? We do.
- Fireworks - What 4th of July festival would be complete without fireworks?